Old Town. Fisherman´s quarter
The old town of Cariño is an special housing ensemble of 8 ha, most of them in galician sailors' style housing, narrow, with bright colour, balconies and galleries. These cramped housing is due to different factors, for example the proximity to the port and A Concha beach (where there were the ships formerly runned aground), lack of land to grow and the orientation of the quarter, looking South and protecting the area from the North coming cold wind.
The origin of the village dates back to Castro's period (Iron age settlement) (a Castro es a pre-roman settlement), where the archaeological site of Castro de Cariño was inhabited and bordering the actual village, even different megalithic tumulus founded in A Capelada Range shows us that the datation of the population of the area could date back before 3000 B.C. .
The origin of the name “Cariño” (affection), a flashy name, can indicate a roman origin. According to last studies, its origin would be the anthroponym Carinus, a former roman land owner, land given to him perhaps to pay his services in the army.
First written document who Cariño is mentioned dated back to the year 1101, a nobiliary document talking about Cariño's small town and the village of S. Xiao do Trebo, 2 km far away. In Modern Age, Cariño was a natural port where their inhabitants lived off of fishing and agriculture, until last XVIII century, when the arrival of catalan canning industry promoters will mark the start in the town's industrialization, having an impact in population rising and the establishment of new fish transforming industries. This industry, as well as fishing, will become the economic engine of the town.
Most streets rise up perpendicularly from A Concha beach, finishing in series of viewpoints on the top, over the cliff, for example O Pósito viewpoint or Cemetery viewpoint. We can find some squares as Porta da Pulida, where it was celebrated the the weekly market and the festivities formerly and A Mariña square or “chains square” as it is known colloquial way, where is situated A Vila fountain and the statue honouring the fishermen, surrounded by ship chain links.
Here we can find as well the Church of S. Bartolomé, finished in 1923, in neo-gothic style. The stone used in its structure was pulled out from Peiral do Campo, a little cove behind the cliff, where we can access going down some stairs. In the bell tower is located the bell from the former steamboat Miramar, ship from Palma de Mallorca wich got stucked at the beginnings of the XX Century in Ortegal Cape cliffs.
Salting and canning industry leave a mark in different constructions along Constitución Avenue, main artery of the village. These constructions were generally involved factory and house in the same building, having a stately facade from the beginnings of the XX Century. There are other industrial units only dedicates to make with the ancient canning industry marks in the facade.
One of those canning industry, that we can make a guided visit, is Conservera “La Pureza”, making fish cans from 1924, that manufactures handmade tinned seafood and fish. Also it manufactures vegetable jams and tinned food through of trademark “Amieiro”. It has own shop and makes guided visited request appointment. (Address: Río Grande 2 Street, Cariño. CP15360 / Phone 981 40 50 04 / E-mail: email@example.com).
Access: On foot visit.
- In the Promenade (sea front), next to A Concha Beach(Avda da Paz), in the Port starting.
- In the high area of the town , near to the Cariño Cemetery or Campo Street.